About Alcatraz Tours
Alcatraz Penitentiary was truly “The Rock”, where America sent the worst of the worst criminals from 1934-1966. Public enemies like Scarface Al Capone, Machine Gun Kelly, Creepy Karpis, and the Birdman (Robert Stroud) all learned this first hand.
People on the outside have always been fascinated with Alcatraz. Visitors peered at Alcatraz through telescopes when the prisoners were there, and ever since it was opened to tours, thousands of visitors have come every year.
Alcatraz Tour Benefits
- Award winning audio tour of the Alcatraz cell house, featuring interviews with former guards and former prisoners.
- Possibility of meeting an actual Alcatraz guard or ex-prisoner, who are often on the island to talk to visitors.
- Learn about the 1962 escape that was featured in the movie Escape from Alcatraz. Decide for yourself if they really made it or not!
- Man-eating sharks? Dungeons? Executions? Learn for yourself what was real and what is only legend.
- Step inside an actual Alcatraz prison cell to have your photograph taken, including their famous “Hole”, which was reserved only for the very worst criminals.
- Incredible views of San Francisco Bay and the Golden Gate Bridge from Alcatraz Island.
- Beautiful gardens that were planted by prisoners and are now being restored by volunteers.
- Large colonies of nesting seabirds such as gulls, cormorants, and night herons.
Interested In Alcatraz Tickets?
BOOK Your Alcatraz Ticket BEFORE you book your flight!
This is no joke, you have to get your Alcatraz Tickets and Tour combos at least 14 days in advance. Alcatraz tickets (from anywhere) can only be sold as part of a Tour Combo (restricted by Parks Service). There is also a strict limit per day that can go to Alcatraz for crowd control purposes and that limit is 3,000 people/day - that is all! With over 200,000 daily visitors trying to get one of 3,000 tickets it becomes impossible and frustrating.
With years of experience, please accept our trustworthy tip and get your Alcatraz tour combos now! We see the mistake of others at least 20 times per day and we see how it ruins their San Francisco experience. The rule of San Francisco travel is book your Alcatraz Tour Combo first THEN book your flight to San Francisco.